1954: Founded as the Robeson County Rescue Squad after Hurricane Hazel devastated southeastern North Carolina.
1969: Changed name to the Lumberton Emergency Rescue Unit after several local towns in Robeson County started their own rescue squads.
1977: Moved in to our current location at 2391 Roberts Avenue, Lumberton. This building was paid for entirely with citizen contributions.
1981: A helipad was constructed behind the rescue building for medical helicopters. Due to land constraints at Southeastern Regional Medical Center, the hospital requested and funded the helipad project. We are the only rescue and EMS service in the state with itís own helipad. Learn more about our helipad.
2003: Became a level two Urban Search and Rescue Team. Task Force 9 is made up of members of our rescue division and Fayetteville Fire Department.
2004: Took delivery of our first custom built heavy rescue truck.
2009: Changed name to Lumberton Rescue and EMS Inc. This was to reflect the organizations commitment to provide advance life support ambulances to our rescue district.
2010: Began providing 24 hour paramedic level of care.
2015: Obtained NC Agricultural Rescue provider status.